- Through the consensus work of expert panelists define the minimum data set and functional Pharmacy Practitioner electronic health record (PP-EHR) capabilities. Facilitate actions to entrench the PP-EHR into the national HIT initiatives in order to deliver, document, and bill services provided by pharmacists in all patient care settings through the meaningful use of HIT.
- Form a structured group consisting of organizations and individuals interested in creating a consensus-based Roadmap. Disseminate the Roadmap to policymakers and the healthcare industry. The Roadmap should ensure medication related technology is meaningfully used in an efficient and effective manner for pharmacists to affect improved medication use.
- Ensure the PP-EHR becomes a model through the technology standards development organizational process; criteria for certification are defined; and becomes certified and adopted by the pharmacy community.
- Facilitate a unified voice of pharmacy representation on key HIT‐related committees and workgroups to influence the recognition of pharmacists and the services they provide. As pharmacy practitioners are more engaged with HIT policymakers, the influence of other health professionals defining HIT platforms that impact pharmacy HIT will be lessened.
The Collaborative will:
- Address the profession’s HIT needs and functionality to provide, document and bill for pharmacist-provided patient care services in all care settings.
- Influence HIT policy through unified, consistent communications to the Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC) and other HIT organizations about pharmacist-provided patient care services and pharmacists’ contributions to the ONC defined meaningful use (MU) of EHR.
- Facilitate the provision and enhance the quality of patient care services provided by pharmacists.
- Ensure that resources, technical standards, and provider knowledge are aligned with the nation’s growing need for pharmacists’ services.
© 2011 Pharmacy e-Health Information Technology Collaborative. All rights reserved.